Emergency Response

If you have immediate concerns or are in an emergency please contact Security on 0114 222 4444. If you live in Allen Court or St Vincent's please call 999 and then inform your local Customer Service desk.

Residence Life

The Residence Life team are here to help you have the best student residential experience possible. We have a team of Residence Life Mentors who work every evening during term time. Approach them with any concern or query, they will either help or point you in the right direction.

Visit residencelife.co.uk to find out more about opportunities in the residences, better still apply to be an Activity Rep and you can work with us to create and host events.  Alongside support and guidance we also organise and facilitate development opportunities, events, activities and sports in partnership with the Students’ Union and Sport Sheffield.

Residence Life Mentors

The Residence Life Mentors are experienced students living in the residences here to support you during your time in University accommodation. They can help with emotional issues, academic worries, disagreements among flatmates, or if you just need someone to talk to and don’t know where to turn. If they can’t help or don’t know the answer, they’ll signpost you to someone who can.

Recently, things have changed a little to continue supporting our students still living in University accommodation during these challenging times. 

Instead of receiving regular visits and contact from your previous Residence Life Mentor, those of us still working are getting in touch with students who opted into telephone welfare calls. Please note, these calls will be from a withheld number. 

There's now a daily Virtual Drop-In service via Google Meet to provide signposting on matters relating to physical and mental student well being. These are group sessions, but individual Google Meet calls can be arranged upon request. Generally, City and St Vincent's Mentors will be available between 8-9 PM, while Endcliffe and Ranmoor (including Families') will be online between 9-10 PM. 

So, if you feel bored, lonely, you have questions or you would just like to chat with a Mentor and other students currently in the accommodation, feel free to join us by clicking this link!

Contact us

Email: residentsupport@sheffield.ac.uk

Phone: 0114 222 8800, 6:30pm-12midnight (ask for a Residence Life Mentor visit)

Phone: 0114 222 4085, after 12midnight (Security will pass concerns on to Residence Life)

Residence Life Mentor Drop-Ins:
The Ridge Social Space, Ranmoor, 9pm-11pm

The Edge Café, Endcliffe, 9pm-11pm

Allen Court Common Room (every day) 9pm-11pm
St Vincent's Common Room , 9pm-11pm

When to contact Residence Life

Residence Life can be contacted to ask questions about life in the residences, concerns about wellbeing, issues with student conduct or community living, or if you want to get involved in a variety of events and activities.

Sometimes residents might be best to contact Customer Services, they can issue keys and swipe cards, report and log maintenance issues and requests, sell tickets for events in the residences and at the Union, and log and securely store lost property found in and around the residences.

More information about Customer Services can be found here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/student-info-and-guides/customerservices

Housing Concerns

Residence Life can give advice and support with any of your housing concerns while you are a resident with the University. If you are considering a transfer, or leaving the University, Residence Life can advise on this process and support you through it.

Your Residence Life Mentor or The Accommodation Office would be the best point of contact to ask questions about your residence contract or room allocation ( https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation ).

For queries about moving out, private accommodation, private contracts and housemates contact Smart Move Sheffield (https://www.smartmovesheffield.com/Accommodation) or the Students’ Union Student Advice Centre ( https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/student-advice-centre ).

Under 18s

Some residents in University Accommodation (or their children or friends) will be under 18 years old. Residence Life has certain obligations in order to safeguard to wellbeing of under-18s.

If you are contacted by a member of Residence Life because you (or someone you are responsible for) are under 18 then please respond.

Being contacted by the team does not mean there is anything wrong but it might be that the Residence Life team need to explain certain differences about support and conduct provision that is applicable.

See the Under 18’s Policy- Accommodation and Commercial Services for more information: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/policies/under-18s-policy-accommodation-and-commercial-services-2020-21 


Residence Life seeks to ensure that the residences are a safe environment in which children under the age of 18 and vulnerable adults are safe from harm.

Residence Life will investigate any concerns raised to them by staff or students, and where appropriate will action these as according to the University’s Safeguarding Policy: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/sss/safeguarding-overview/safeguarding 

Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEP)

Anyone who may require assistance or special arrangements during an emergency evacuation will require a plan to aid their egress from the building which they occupy during an emergency.

Residence Life is responsible for ensuring that PEEPs are developed, agreed and implemented. As a result the Residence Life team may contact you if you have disclosed information that could suggest a need for a PEEP. The PEEP may involve offering simple solutions such as an alternative place of refuge, a vibrating pillow, or a flashing alarm indicator.

If you are approached about a prospective PEEP then please respond to the request, even if you do not feel one is required. More information about PEEPs can be found here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/hs/disability

Support Services

Residence Life and the team of Residence Life Mentors are responsible for looking after your welfare.

They are the first port of call for any residence with concerns over their wellbeing, or the wellbeing of others. Residence Life work closely with other support services both within the University and beyond, if you would like to seek advice from these services or want to find out more click here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/sos

Share with Friends x