It's time for your son or daughter to fly the nest and we understand that one of your first concerns will be safety and security while they are at University. Rest assured, the University Security Team is always on hand to help...
Sheffield is a safe place to live, however, it is always nice to have some reassurance when coming to a new city. We will be running our annual Crime Prevention and Safety Fortnight campaign during the first two weeks of term.
Our Security Team will be on campus in The Diamond on weekdays from Monday 24 September to Friday 5 October, 10am to 4pm, ready to answer any questions our students have about safety and security on campus and in the residences.
Here are some helpful tips we give to our students in the first few weeks of term:
- Always lock bedroom and front doors before going out. The student residences have CCTV and our Security Team on patrol, but with valuables like laptops lying around, it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Don't leave expensive items in full view of windows. This deters any opportunists who may be walking past.
- Students are advised to use a Sold Secure tested 'Gold' standard lock on their bicycle to keep it secure. This is the best type of bike lock as it is the most difficult to break.
- In case of emergency, students should call the Security Team on 0114 222 4444.
- Use the Safe Taxi Scheme to get home from a night out.