Respect your community
There are thousands of students living in University accommodation so being respectful of each other is very important. Please always be considerate of your neighbours, both in the accommodation and in the local community. Quiet Time is between the hours of 11pm and 7am, and 24 hours a day during the exam period. Noise must be kept to a minimum during this time to avoid breaching the University's regulations, and potentially facing disciplinary action.
Here are some top tips to avoid becoming a noise nuisance:
- Use headphones – Whether you’re listening to music, watching TV, video calling a friend, or gaming please use headphones.
- Communicate with your flatmates before inviting people over. They may have an important deadline or lecture in the morning, in which case be considerate.
- Stop slamming – doors, drawers, pans, or feet…! You might not realise you’re being noisy, but sound travels more than you realise.
- Check the clock – Remember, during the hours of 11pm and 7am, and 24 hours a day during the exam period is Quiet Time, so noise must be kept to a minimum.
If you’re disturbed by noise and you don’t know how to deal with it, speak to your Residence Life Mentor. Residence Life Mentors work closely with Security to monitor noise issues, and they can support you in dealing with the matter. If you're disturbed and you need an immediate response, please call Security directly on
- Read Next
- The Edge Bar Sexual Violence How to...Travel in Sheffield Relationships Sexual Health Physical Health Mental Health Making Friends Lonliness Gambling
- Become a Residence Life Mentor for 2022-23 What's on this week What's so great about being a Residence Life Mentor? Tennis courts on site - free to use! Explore Bole Hill (Self-guided walk) Donate, Don't Waste 2022 Student Blog; Heng (Residence Life Mentor) Community Living & Covid -19 Edge Bar Sunday Quiz Our work with St Vincent's de Paul - Sheffield