University is a fantastic opportunity for you to learn but it’s not all about what you’re going to learn in the Lecture Hall. Residence Life has a dedicated Living and Learning programme that helps you learn essential skills that that will see you through life; creativity, problem solving, communication, leadership, self-motivation, teamwork to name but a few.
In partnership with the Students’ Union and Professional Services, the Living and Learning Programme is designed to enhance your experience further by offering Life-Skill sessions, awareness campaigns and guest lectures.
Sessions planned for 2018/19:
- Pitch Club - come and pitch an innovative idea to a panel of experts. The best pitch wins a cash prize!!
- One Pot Cookery - you’ll be taught how to cook a meal that only requires one saucepan.
- Pumpkin Carving and Sustainability - carve your own pumpkin and we’ll give you take-away containers and a recipe sheets so you get a Halloween decoration and ingredients for a meal...for free!
- Study Skills Sessions - Learn how to get the best out of you self-study time and learn time saving revision techniques.
- Learn to play the Ukulele - you can attend these free, weekly music lessons, a great way to relax!
- Relax with Craft - take a break from your studies and come and spend a stress free hour learning different crafts each month!
These are only a few of the activities we got planned so far so keep visiting our website or lookout for the e-newsletter for more details!!
Partnership activities planned with outside organisations:
- Sexual Health Drop-Ins - held in the residences, Sexual Health Sheffield are there to advise you about your sexual health.
- Chlamydia Testing - at various points throughout the academic year, testing kits will be available in the laundries. You can test yourself in the privacy of your own room, send off your sample and receive postal notification of your results if they are positive.
Campaigns we will be supporting:
- World Aids Day
- National Student Money Week
- Mental Health Awareness Week
- Green Impact
The Living and Learning Programme allows you to develop skills which will see you through your University education, skills which will help you apply for jobs and that will be invaluable to your professional development.