Donate, Don't Waste 2022
As you prepare to move out of your accommodation, you might find that you've ended up with more things than you arrived with, including stuff you no longer need.
That's where Donate, Don't Waste comes in - the scheme encourages students to donate any unwanted items, which go to our charity partners and helps divert items from waste streams that could otherwise go to good use. It saves you taking things back home that'll end up being unused/replaced or in the bin, plus it raises vital funds for a range of charities.
There are donation boxes for the British Heart Foundation onsite year-round in the following locations:
- Allen Court
- Broad Lane Court
- Crewe Tennis Court
- Shore Court
- The Edge
- The Ridge
British Heart Foundation accepts clothes, shoes, accessories, books, DVDs etc.
We have donation points for the Sheffield 6 Foodbank in place at the following locations:
- The Edge Hub
- The Ridge Common Room
- Allen Court Common Room
- The Diamond Cafe
Sheffield 6 Foodbank accepts non-perishable food, UHT milk (urgently required), tinned meat (meatballs etc), tinned fruit, tinned vegetables, rice, toiletries, and more.
Duvets and pillows
The British Heart Foundation does not accept duvets or bedding. Please do not put these in the donation boxes or into the general waste bins. Duvets and bedding can be donated by placing them in black bin bags in the Edge Hub or Ridge Common Room after Friday 10 June.
Big Spring Clean Showcase
On Friday 10 June we'll be holding our Big Spring Clean Showcase event on the Edge Piazza, where we'll be joined by our charity partners who will be taking donations. You can pop down with your things, or put them directly into the donation boxes around the site.
Since starting in 2013, the Donate, Don't Waste scheme has helped students in Sheffield to divert 58,670 bags of useable items from landfills by donating them to the British Heart Foundation.
This is equivalent to:
- £927,000 worth of donations (the British Heart Foundation value each bag at an average of £14)
- 469 tonnes of items
- 4,776,677kg CO2 equivalent (compared to being sent to landfill)
- Over 9.5t of food has been donated by students to S6 Foodbank since 2015, equating to 17,465 meals.
- Read Next
- The Edge Bar Sexual Violence How to...Travel in Sheffield Relationships Sexual Health Physical Health Mental Health Making Friends Lonliness Gambling
- Become a Residence Life Mentor for 2022-23 What's on this week What's so great about being a Residence Life Mentor? Tennis courts on site - free to use! Explore Bole Hill (Self-guided walk) Donate, Don't Waste 2022 Student Blog; Heng (Residence Life Mentor) Community Living & Covid -19 Edge Bar Sunday Quiz Our work with St Vincent's de Paul - Sheffield