Why do you take a deposit?
If any issues are found in your accommodation during an inspection or after you’ve moved out, you may be charged out of the £150 deposit that you paid when you accepted your contract to put them right.
When will I find out if I’ve been charged?
We’ll email you throughout the year if any charges are identified. This could be during an inspection, by your cleaner or by maintenance staff.
- If the charges are for a problem in shared areas, the cost will be split between everyone in the apartment, house or block unless the individual who caused the damage is identified.
- If the charges are for a problem in your bedroom or en-suite, you will be responsible for the cost.
How is my deposit connected to inspections?
Your accommodation is inspected twice throughout the year and after you’ve moved out to make sure it’s being kept clean and tidy, and to identify any damage to the property, fixtures and fittings.
- If charges amount to less than £150, they will be taken from your deposit and the rest will be returned to your bank account.
- If charges amount to more than £150, you will be sent a link to make payment via the University’s payment portal.
Find out more
For more information about deposits, take a look at the 'Guide to Breaking Stuff' in your Arrival Envelope and the 'Moving Out Guide' which you'll receive later on in the year. To download a digital version visit www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/current/literature
- Read Next
- Spooky Decoration Competition! Engagement & Development Assistant 2021-22 - 5 paid posts available! Staying safe in the residences African-Caribbean Market Trip! Dance Fitness Class for Residence Life students Accessing the Fitness Suite and Steinway Pianos Amazing Volunteering Opportunities! Career Service; Autumn Fairs Arts and Crafts with Res Life! Saturday Night Online Quiz!
- New GeniUS Rewards Scheme app Charley Williams, Residence Life Manager Internal Support Services at TUoS The Best Restaurants and Bars in Broomhill There's always someone who can help Your guide to the disciplinary process Your guide to all things money! Useful Contacts Reporting a maintenance problem Accessing the Fitness Suite and Steinway Pianos