Here are some helpful cooking safety tips
- Avoid using the hob or the oven under the influence of alcohol.
- Supervise your cooking at all times.
- Don't leave items that can catch fire e.g. tea towels on or near the hob, even if the hob is switched off.
- Avoid using too much oil, particularly with fatty foods like bacon.
- Don't reuse oil, it's particularly flammable.
- If you see smoke or the oil begins to smell burned, immediately switch off appliances, and remove the pan from the hob, if it's safe to do so.
- Open windows and switch on the extractor fan when cooking.
- Don't ever prop the kitchen door open. This will set off the smoke detector in the corridor. Kitchen doors are fire doors so they can delay fires from spreading fast across your accommodation.
- Add food gently to oil so it does't splatter.
- Always cook with a metal lid beside the pan. This way if the oil begins to smoke or a fire starts, you can slide the lid over the pan to contain the fire.
How to react to a cooking fire
Check out this link for information on fire extinguishers, and their use.
- If it's safe, slide a metal lid (a glass lid will shatter) or a fire blanket over the pan. Don't remove the lid or fire blanket because the fire could start again. Let the pan cool completely.
- Don't use water on a grease fire. Pouring water can cause the oil to splatter, and spread the fire.
- Don't use a water fire extinguisher, even if the correct fire extinguisher is not available.
- If the oil has caught on fire, don't move the pot as it could spill, burning you or others.
- If there's a fire in the oven, switch off the heat (if it is safe to do so), and don't open the oven door as oxygen will feed the fire.
- In any case, raise the alarm, close any doors behind you, and evacuate through the nearest fire exit.
- Call 4444 once you're outside the building.
For further tips on cooking safe in the kitchen, please click here: https://www.firesafe.org.uk/fires-in-the-kitchen/
- Read Next
- Spooky Decoration Competition! Engagement & Development Assistant 2021-22 - 5 paid posts available! Staying safe in the residences African-Caribbean Market Trip! Dance Fitness Class for Residence Life students Accessing the Fitness Suite and Steinway Pianos Amazing Volunteering Opportunities! Career Service; Autumn Fairs Arts and Crafts with Res Life! Saturday Night Online Quiz!
- New GeniUS Rewards Scheme app Charley Williams, Residence Life Manager Internal Support Services at TUoS The Best Restaurants and Bars in Broomhill There's always someone who can help Your guide to the disciplinary process Your guide to all things money! Useful Contacts Reporting a maintenance problem Accessing the Fitness Suite and Steinway Pianos