Competitions & Giveaways
COMPETITION: We’re going on a Bear Hunt!
There are 60 big bears hidden around Sheffield - time to team up with your flatmates and find them all!
Bears have taken to the streets of Sheffield this summer! The Sheffield Children’s Hospital has placed 60 large bears and 100 small bears around the city. The little bears were decorated by talented children and young people of all ages from schools across the region. The 60 big bear sculptures were brought to life by professional local and international artists.
Your aim is to find as many bears as possible, take pictures with them and send them to us!
- Team size: Gather up your flatmates! (Your team can be a maximum of 12 people)
- Closing date: Friday 1st October. The bears leave Sheffield on 29th September so you’d better hurry!
- How to enter: Take one picture with each bear you find (like the one below), compile them onto a document of your choice (word, google doc, PDF) and send them to residentengagement.ac.uk. Make sure that you include the names of the team and contact details! We only need one entry per team.
PRIZE: Your whole team will win a FREE meal at the Edge Hub! (There will be 5 winning teams)
- How to find the bears: We have 50 physical maps available for you to pick up across The Edge, The Ridge, Allen Court and St Vincents - first come, first served so don’t miss out.
For any queries, just email email@example.com
Background on the bear hunt
‘’The inspiration for the bear for the theme of the trail came from the Botanical Gardens bear sculpture and through The Children’s Hospital Charity’s mascot, Theo. Theo will even have his special Theo bear sculpture along the trail!
Although bears are often called grizzly, they are gentle and tolerant by nature. They can be empathetic, joyful, playful and social.
The design of the sculpture is by artist David Mayne. David adapted the design of his original bear in the Botanical Gardens Bear Pit and created a smooth version for both the Big and Little Bears for the trail before they were manufactured in Darnall, Sheffield.’’
Currently, the bear hunt has raised nearly £3000 and we want them to raise as much money as possible. The money will help Sheffield Children’s Hospital where it is needed most, which is currently a new Cancer and Leukaemia ward. It will help sick children by creating a home away from home and completely transforming the ward for both patients and parents. Once the bear trail is over these 60 bears will be auctioned off to raise more money!
- Read Next
- Saturday Night Online Quiz! New GeniUS Rewards Scheme app Registering with the University Health Service Free Squash Zoom Beyond 18-21 Travel Pass Learn to play the Ukulele! Discover Sheffield Trips - September and October Cosmeti Craft Sessions - make your own cosmetics! Plant Giveaways! Weekly Edge Bar Events!
- Weekly Edge Bar Events! Useful Contacts Charley Williams, Residence Life Manager Internal Support Services at TUoS The Best Restaurants and Bars in Broomhill There's always someone who can help Your guide to the disciplinary process Your guide to all things money! Reporting a maintenance problem Kit Lawrence, Student Conduct Officer